Nuevo Centro is a shopping centre that was built in 1982. During the redevelopment of the centre, the C&A store was split in order to improve store efficiency. C&A refurbished its store following the split, improving energy efficiency and sharing this information as evidence for BREEAM credits. The new Sprinter store was build according to current and up-to-date standards regarding energy consumption.
After several years of negotiations with C&A, the split of the unit was agreed in 2019. Both stores that were realised after this split are practically new and in are constructed in accordance with the newest building standards which resulted in increased environmental performance. C&A kindly shared all technical information that was required to obtain BREEAM certification. The new evidence of the sustainability measures that were implemented, resulted in an improved BREEAM In-Use certification level.
With the refurbishment of C&A in Nuevo Centro shopping centre, the store improved its BREEAM In-Use rating from Good to Very Good. The improvements that were implemented, helped in achieving the higher BREEAM rating. Because C&A shared the information that was required for certification, the results were also verified to be in line with the BREEAM standard.
- Waste separation: the tenants recycle and separate their waste in four different waste streams.
- Lighting: LED lighting installed by tenants.
- Lighting control: new building management system (BMS) installed for lighting control.
- Water efficiency: push buttons for toilet sinks installed to minimise water consumption.
Collaboration with tenant is key when improving the environmental performance of a building. Successful collaboration not only improves the performance of the building, it also allows for a higher BREEAM certification.
- Measure to minimise water consumption
- LED lighting (by tenant)
- New building management system (BMS) for lighting control installed
- Waste recycling
Nuevo Centro Shopping Centre
C&A and Sprinter